MOSAIC Immigration Inc.

IELTS, CELPIP, and TEF Language Exams for Canadian Immigration

IELTS, CELPIP, and TEF Language Exams for Canadian Immigration

To apply for almost any category of economic immigration to Canada, you must first pass a language test. The version of the test you must take and the score you must obtain are determined by the programme for which you are applying.


You must produce language test results from an authorised agency for Canadian immigration. The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) and the Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program are the two authorised English test providers (CELPIP). You must take the Test d'évaluation de Français if you want to take your language test in French (TEF).

The IRCC has no preferred test. Because the results of all three exams are equal, you can take whatever test is more convenient for you.

To be legitimate, the results of any language test must be from within the last two years (24 months).

Listening, reading, writing, and speaking are all scored separately in IELTS, CELPIP, and TEF.


IELTS is a globally recognised English proficiency test. Because there are many testing centres throughout the world, we normally propose that our clients take the IELTS for their immigration file and give them with IELTS training. IELTS is divided into two categories: General Training and Academic. You should take the IELTS - General Training for Canadian immigration. IELTS scores include a score for each language ability as well as an overall band score that averages your results across all abilities. Your overall band score is irrelevant for Canadian immigration considerations.


CELPIP was created by Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). Unlike the IELTS, which assesses international English competence, the CELPIP was created to assess Canadian English, which combines parts of British and American English as well as Canadian accents. The General Test and the General LS Test are the two CELPIP test kinds. The CELPIP - General Test is required for immigration. Originally solely available in Canada, the CELPIP is now available internationally, with test facilities in the United Arab Emirates (UAE), the Republic of Korea, Singapore, the Philippines, India, China, and the United States.


You must take the TEF if you are a natural French speaker or choose to submit language test results indicating French competency. TEFs are classified into two types: TEF and TEFAQ. We normally advise you to take the TEF. The TEFAQ can only be used for Quebec immigration, but the TEF can be used for both Quebec and federal immigration.

What grade do I require?

The majority of Canadian economic immigration programmes include minimum language requirements, however not all of them are the same. The score you need will be determined by the programme to which you are applying.

Many programmes use point systems in addition to basic criteria. In addition to language competency, points may be awarded for age, work experience, and education. The language test score required to qualify may range from the minimal requirement depending on your profile.

Our suggestion is to give it your all. If you are unhappy with your scores, you can retake the test to try to improve them. The key point to remember is that these are tests. Even if you are confident in your ability to speak English or French, you should prepare by studying and taking practise tests.

Canadian Language Standard

Your findings will be transformed into Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) or Niveaux de competency linguistique canadiens (NCLC) levels regardless of the test you take. CLB values range from 4 (poor) to 10 (outstanding) (excellent). When Canadian immigration programmes mention a language requirement, it is usually in the form of a CLB level.

Assume: a software has a CLB 4 minimum language requirement. That is, your lowest score among the four language abilities must be CLB 4. You will not meet the minimal language requirement if you score below that level on any of the abilities.